Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Japanese Iris - Planting out Seedlings






I'm now ready to plant.

I load my seedling plants up on my trusty walker frame and head for the new Japanese iris planting area.



Again I use the string line to mark my complete row. I use a 6 metre length pipe marked at 40 cm (16 inches) spacing's and my string row lines are set at 1 metre (38 inch) spacing's between the rows. This it to allow for spraying or using the lawn mower between the rows of plants while they grow.





I prepare in a bucket a light solution of liquid feed using Phostrogen plant food
and water mixed.




I then take the scissors and remove 1/3 of the top growth from the seedling. This is because once they are planted out they are on there own to adapt to their new environment, to produce nice white roots to begin new growth.











By reducing the
top by 1/3 this helps in reducing the transpiration area which helps the plant retain its water better while recovering and putting out new roots below.














I then place the seedlings in the bucket of liquid feed solution and leave to soak for about 5 to 10 minutes.



I apply a very small handful of balanced fertilizer to where I will plant the seedling and thoroughly mix well into the soil.







I remove the plastic pot from the seedling and with the use of a long handled garden trowel I plant into the soil about a 2 to 3 cms (1 inch) below the soil line and firm the seeding in. I continue down my row. Once completed I then move the string line and begin the process again.

Use good plant labels as you go, this will identify your different hybrid crosses etc.

Write in a garden diary your plan and where each lot it planted in the row. Draw a plan . This will help you later when your memory has faded a little. Believe me it works a treat.

Then I spread straw along the rows to help with weed control.
Water in the rows if required with a garden lawn sprinkler.

No comments: